Friday 26 September 2014

Back in the print room

Happy friday!!!
This week we were thrown straight in the deep end after 3 months off over the summer,  our first day back saw us desperately taking notes in our advanced print workshop. We covered new print techniques including devore, illuminated discharge, pearl and metallic pigments, flocking and two-tone dying (for use with devore). After learning the basics I dived straight in to sampling. It's such a nice feeling to be back doing the creative process after such a long break- I feel human again!

These samples are just at the beginning stage as I intend to layer up the techniques to play around with creating intriguing prints... what do you think?

I'll post up some more images of the samples once I've worked into them a little more.
Flick xoxo

This sample was emerald green pigment in discharge paste, the left hand side shows it before it was ironed and the right shows the finished colour after it had been ironed.

 Above shows an example of illuminated discharge. The silk twill was dip-dyed in deep emerald green and cerise red. I then printed on the pink areas using mid-green illuminated discharge, and cerise red on the green areas.
 Above - green pearl and turquoise metallic pigment printed on silk twill hand dyed in cerise red.

Above left devore silk.  Above right is an example of a sample that didn't  quite work out- I hadn't ironed the fabric for long enough to burn out the fibres before I washed it!
Dyed in a two tone bath of black and purple, then screen printed with Devore paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment