Sunday 28 September 2014

Interior decoration...what even is it?

Following up on my post regarding interior design, I'm going to focus in on the term "Interior Decoration."

At first I struggled to find any definition that didn't include the term "Interior design", but then I stumbled across this...
Although people often think interior decorating and interior designing are the same, they are not. Interior decorators choose the paint color for your wall, while interior designers will knock it down to alter the structure of the room. Interior decorating deals with the look and feel of a room by adding accessories like drapes and rugs; interior designers make the best use of the space.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/interior-decorating-1254.html

This brief (and slightly blunt don't you think?) sums up my thoughts really similarly- that interior designers plan SPACE and how to work with it best, whereas interior decoration involves pulling colours/ features/ furniture and furnishings together to finish the room and compliment the interior design.

Here is another article that supports this explanation,
Interior decorating careers involve creatively planning living and business spaces for individuals and businesses. Interior decorators use color, furniture, window coverings, paint, lighting and artwork to create functional, comfortable spaces that fit their clients' styles. Small and large firms employ interior decorators, while many interior decorators work as independent contractors or consultants.
http://education-portal.com/interior_decorating_career.html

I have also found some helpful information here:

http://freshome.com/2009/02/10/how-to-become-an-interior-decorator/

I am feeling like this is more of what I'm drawn to or even will be more capable of than interior design, or does it even matter what we call it???

Perhaps I would like a career choosing colours, picking furnishings and furniture and using space to its best ability...AND THAT IS THAT. Maybe it's interior design, maybe it's interior decoration? Besides it being vital for Searching for jobs and information about it, once I make it there, does it really matter what we call it??

XOXO F.

p.s If you haven't already, check out http://abigailahern.com- she's my favourite at doing this sort of interior design/decoration, and her advice is awesome. I bought two of her books over the summer and I honestly feel like they they are helping me transform my home- I've totally found myself (my poor husband- I've found him too, bless him!). Her blog is brilliant too-http://www.abigailahern.org

Total inspiration, I'm so excited I've booked myself on her one day design school course in November- a little pre christmas treat for me. Of course, I'll keep you all updated.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment